OK gang, if they are not already a staple in your diet, then make them one NOW. I’m talking lentils my friend. Full of great fiber, protein and all kinds of wonderful nutrients. I personally always make my lentils with wild rice. The combination of lentils and rice forms a complete protein (amino acid profile). This recipe utilizes red lentils which are small and cook quickly. In fact, they almost appear gone. But…it’s this factor that creates such a creamy texture that everyone is sure to love. Try this recipe on non-lentil lovers and watch them convert!!!! ENJOY!
RED LENTILS AND WILD RICE
Here’s what you need:
1 16 oz. package red lentils
1 cup wild rice (not the instant stuff!)
1 yellow onion (chopped)
1 red onion (chopped)
2 gloves (minched with garlic press)
2 handfuls baby carrots
1 red pepper (chopped)
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS coconut oil
1/2 pound fresh spinach
pinch of crushed red pepper
Franks Red Hot Sauce
9 cups water
salt and pepper to taste.
OK…HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
- In a large saucepan/pot (the kind you would cook a pound of pasta in! Big pot!), heat 2 TBS olive oil.
- Add garlic and saute for around 30-45 seconds to release garlic flavors into oil
- Add both onions and cook for around 3-4 minutes.
- Add carrots, peppers and pinch of crushed red pepper. Mix well and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add 9 cups water, lentils,wild rice and coconut oil. Mix well and turn heat to high and bring to boil.
- Once it reaches boil, reduce heat to low simmer, add around 2 TBS franks hot sauce, mix well and cover.
- Let simmer for around 30-35 minutes, then add spinach. Mix in well, and cover and let simmer another 5-10 minutes.
- Take off heat and let cool
Serve with more Hot Sauce or a sprinkle of Parmesean cheese!!!